The TruFit Good Citizen Scholarship® Official Rules
No Purchase Necessary. By entering the TruFit Good Citizen Scholarship®, you are under no obligation to apply for the TruFit Student Loan®. Applying for a TruFit Student Loan® will not increase your chances of winning.
- Eligibility: The TruFit Good Citizen Scholarship® (“Contest”) is open to legal U.S. residents, who are 16 years of age or older as of date of application and are high school or college students that are enrolled at or accepted to a federally accredited four year college, university or graduate program for the Fall 2013 semester. Employees (and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household) of RBS Citizens, N.A. (“Sponsor”), Sponsor’s affiliate companies, and their advertising and promotion agencies involved with this Contest [including but not limited to, Don Jagoda Associates, Inc. (“Administrator”)], parent companies, subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates and related companies (collectively with Sponsor, the “Contest Entities”) are not eligible to participate or win. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
- How To Submit an Application for the Contest: The Contest begins at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on April 1, 2013 and ends at 4:00 p.m. ET on April 19, 2013 (“Contest Period”), or when 3,000 applications have been received, whichever occurs first. Visit www.citizensbank.com/scholarship or www.charterone.com/scholarship, click on the Contest link (“Websites”) as directed and follow the instructions to complete the online application form. You must include all information requested on the online application form including two (2) references. You must then upload a photo and either an original essay (“Essay”) or an original video (“Video”) explaining how you demonstrate good citizenship through community volunteerism and leadership. You must then download and execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release (where legal), an Assignment of Rights (“affidavit”), and proof of deposit/enrollment or an acceptance letter from the accredited four year college, university or graduate program they plan to attend for the Fall 2013 semester (“Affidavit Package”). Prizes will be awarded to winners only after they are enrolled. If any potential winner is a minor in his/her state of residence, his/her parent/legal guardian will be required to complete the affidavit on the winner’s behalf. Affidavit Package must be returned via e-mail prior to the end of the Contest Period or participation in the Contest will be forfeited. If Affidavit Package is returned incomplete, or if the Applicant fails to return the required verification documents prior to the end of the Contest Period, he/she will be disqualified.
Applications should include: One example of demonstrated leadership in your community, the number of hours per week/month/year that you are involved, and how you will continue to stay involved in the community as you continue your education. The Essay must be no more than 250 words in length. The Video must be no longer than 60 seconds in length. All material submitted to Sponsor in connection with this Contest shall be referred to herein as the “Application”, the person submitting the Application shall be referred to herein as the “Applicant”. Limit one Application per person/email address, regardless of application Website. Each Applicant attests that he/she has made all those depicted in the Application (or parent/legal guardian for any person depicted who is a minor) aware that he/she is submitting an Application containing them in this Contest, and all depicted (or parent/legal guardian for any person depicted who is a minor) have agreed that Applicant may submit such Application and may need to sign a Release, in Sponsor’s sole discretion as part of the winner notification process. The person depicted in the Video or Essay and Photo as the Applicant must be the same person listed as the Applicant on the Application form. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the Applicant, the Applicant will be deemed the person named in the registration as the Applicant. By applying, you understand that your Application, in its entirety or any portion thereof, may (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) be posted on the Websites, broadcast on television and/or used in other Sponsor-selected media. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by Applicants’ online service will apply and are Applicants’ sole responsibility. Applications become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, corrupted, incomplete or damaged Applications. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt by Sponsor.
- Contest Application Requirements: In the event the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determines that any Application contains content that does not comply with these Official Rules, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify the Application or, if Sponsor determines, edit the content of the Application. Video Applications must be in one of the following formats: .mpeg, .mpg4, .avi, .mov, .flv or .wmv file and be under 100MB. Supporting Photographs must be in the following format: .jpg, 300dpi, in full color, no less than 750KB and under 20MB. Photo submission must be a headshot of the Applicant only. Applications must be in English and must comply with these Official Rules and the registration instructions in order to be eligible. All Applications must be the sole, original work of the Applicant. Applicants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize any portion of the Application from any other source. Applications may not have been published previously or have been submitted in any other competition. The Applicant must own all rights in and to the Application. Applications must be in keeping with Sponsor’s image, or desired image, or they will be disqualified. The Application may not contain obscene, profane, lewd, defamatory or inappropriate images or text; and may not include nudity, acts of violence, acts that appear to cause injury or harm, or acts that are illegal or dangerous, as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Applications may not contain any third party materials, and may not contain any materials that, violate or infringe (or may be at risk of infringing) any third party rights, including without limitation, copyright (including music), trademark rights, privacy rights (including portrayal in a false light), publicity rights, or other intellectual property rights. Applications should not contain logos (other than Citizens Bank or Charter One or the organization where you may perform community work), marks that identify a brand, or other personal or proprietary materials of any entity or person living or deceased. Please note, if you include any logos or anything identifiable for the organization where you may perform community work, you must get the permission from a principal in the organization in order to include that material. Sponsor may also request that permission in writing in their sole discretion. Sponsor has the sole discretion to determine whether an Application is eligible. Any Application that violates this section or is otherwise objectionable (as determined solely by Sponsor), will not be considered and will be disqualified. Automated, script, macro or robotic Applications will be disqualified.
- Transfer of Rights: By submitting an Application, Applicant (or parent/legal guardian if Applicant is a minor) hereby grants the Contest Entities the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide rights to use, reproduce, publish, edit, market, store, adapt, assign, sell, dispose of, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote the Application or excerpts of the Application (as such may be edited and modified by the Sponsor in its discretion) in perpetuity, for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes (including posting on Sponsor-affiliated websites, the Websites, and/or other Sponsor-selected media).
- Contest Judging: A maximum of 3,000 Applications will be judged to determine the winners, by May 3, 2013, by a Sponsor-selected panel of judges (“Judges”), whose decisions are final on all matters relating to the Contest. Applications will be judged to determine the Grand, First, and Second Prize winners, based on the following judging criteria: Best depiction of leadership and initiative – 33%; Relevance to theme, including type of service and amount of time spent doing service – 33%; and most compelling Video or Essay – 34%. In the event of a tie, tied Applicants will be re-judged by the Judges, based 100% on most deserving Applicant, to determine the potential winner(s). Judges’ decisions are final with respect to all matters relating to the Contest. No information regarding Applications or judging will be disclosed to any third party not involved in the conduct of the Contest.
- Prizes: Grand Prize (1): A $5,000 Scholarship, awarded in the form of a check disbursed by the Administrator, co-payable to the student and the college at which he or she is enrolled at the time of prize award. First Prizes (4): A $2,500 Scholarship, awarded in the form of a check, co-payable to the student and the college at which he or she is enrolled at the time of prize award. Second Prizes (35): A $1,000 Scholarship, awarded in form of a check, co-payable to the student and the college at which he or she is enrolled at the time of prize award. Limit: one prize per Applicant. Prizes will be awarded provided a sufficient number of eligible Applications are received. Prizes are not transferable. No substitution or transfer of prize permitted except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Scholarship prizes are to be used solely toward the required tuition, room, board, fees, books or supplies in connection with the enrollment of the winner at an educational institution that (a) meets the requirements set forth in Section 117 of the Internal Revenue Code and the regulations there under, and (b) is a regionally or nationally accredited college or university. Scholarship prizes are not subject to Federal income tax if used in accordance with the requirements of Section 117 of the Internal Revenue Code. If a prize is not used within four (4) years of the date of receipt for educational purposes in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code, then the winner must return the prize money to the Sponsor. Taxes, if any, related to the prizes are the sole responsibility of the Applicant or Applicant’s parent/legal guardian, as applicable.
- Winner Notification: All winners will be notified by phone and email/mail after the judging has been completed. All winners (or parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor) will be required to execute and return via email, mail or fax, a Prize Acceptance Form and, if applicable, a Release Form (as described below) within seven (7) business days of notification or prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be determined. All Winners may be required to obtain a Release Form from those depicted (or the parent/legal guardian of any minors depicted) in their Application at Sponsor’s discretion or prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be determined. Prizes will be awarded after winner is confirmed or once winner is enrolled. Prizes will be awarded only to enrolled students. If a potential winner does not enroll or cancels enrollment, an alternate potential prize winner will be determined. If any potential winner is found to be ineligible or if any potential winner does not comply with the Official Rules, then the potential winner may also be disqualified and an alternate potential prize winner will be determined.
- General Rules: By applying for the Contest, Applicants are under no obligation to apply for the TruFit Student Loan®. By participating, Applicants agree to these Official Rules and the decisions of the Judges and Contest Entities, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Winners, all Applicants (or parent/legal guardian if Applicant is a minor) and all those depicted in Applications, as a condition of entry into the Contest, agree to release Contest Entities from and against any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with creation of or submitting an Application or otherwise participating in any aspect of the Contest, the receipt, ownership or use of prize awarded or any typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement of offering of the prizes. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission to the Contest Entities to use winning Applicants’ names, likenesses and the winning Applicants’ Applications for promotional purposes (including any possible public relations opportunities) without further compensation except where prohibited by law. The Contest Entities are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Applications in the Contest or for any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, accessing or downloading information in connection with the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the application process or the operation of the Contest or Websites; violates the Official Rules; or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest for any reason, including (but not limited to) if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest. If such cancelation occurs, Sponsor reserves the right to determine the winners from among all eligible Applications received prior to cancellation, based on the same criteria listed above.
- Disputes: Applicants/winners agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and solely and exclusively in a federal or state court located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; Applicants/Winners submit to sole and exclusive personal jurisdiction to said courts in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for any such dispute and irrevocably waives any and all rights to object to such jurisdiction; (b) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out of pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with submitting an Application for this Contest but in no event attorneys' fees; and (c) under no circumstances will Applicants/Winners be permitted to obtain awards for and Applicants/winners hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Applicants/winners or the Contest Entities in connection with this Contest shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules of provisions (whether of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the United States, or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Winners List: For a list of winners of prizes, available after July 1, 2013, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to The TruFit Good Citizen Scholarship® Winners, c/o Don Jagoda Associates, 100 Marcus Drive (Dept. SM), Melville, NY 11747, by June 30, 2013.
- Sponsor/Administrator: The Contest is Sponsored by RBS Citizens, N.A., One Citizens Plaza, Providence, Rhode Island 02903. The Contest is administered by Don Jagoda Associates, Inc., 100 Marcus Drive, Melville, NY 11747.